Guidelines & Recommendations
Canadian Best Practice Recommendations for Stroke Care
The Canadian Best Practice Recommendations for Stroke Care is a comprehensive set of evidence and clinically-based guidelines that serve as a resource for health care professionals working in practice settings across the care continuum. Since 2006, these recommendations have been updated every two years. This ensures that they are current and coordinated with national and international parallel initiatives, and that they reflect best practice evidence and stroke management priorities. Initiated by the Canadian Stroke Strategy (CSS), these recommendations align performance measurement and development with stroke best practices to enhance recommendation uptake, implementation, and the monitoring of patient care and outcomes.
In 2012, the CSS Best Practices and Standards Working Group became responsible for the development and update of the CSS Best Practice Recommendations for Stroke Care. As of April 2013, ongoing updates to the Canadian Best Practice Recommendations for Stroke Care will be transitioned to the Heart and Stroke Foundation and its partners. For updates on the CSS Best Practice Recommendations please go to: stroke best practices website.
The Toronto Stroke Networks and the Toronto Central LHIN have established the Toronto Stroke Flow initiative to support the implementation of the best practice recommendations in acute and rehab organizations. Stroke Flow will achieve system efficiencies and improve quality of care.
Best Practice Guidelines and Recommendations
- Aphasia Institute Communicative Access Guidelines
- Canadian Cardiovascular Society: Atrial Fibrillation Guidelines List
- Canadian Clinical Practice Guidelines: Management & Prevention of Obesity in Adults & Children
- Canadian Diabetes Association: Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Canadian Stroke Strategy: A Guide to the Implementation of Stroke Unit Care
- Canadian Stroke Strategy: Core Indicators Report
- E Stroke Rehab Inpatient Discharge Check List
- E Stroke Rehab Outpatient Discharge Check List
- Hypertension Canada Guidelines
- Ontario Stroke Network Post Stroke Community Based Exercise Guidelines 2016
- Quality-Based Procedures: Clinical Handbook for Stroke (Acute and Postacute)- December 2016
- Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario: Nursing Best Practice Guideline – Stroke Assessment Across the Continuum of Care
- Smoking Cessation Guideline
- Stroke Rehabilitation Clinician Handbook – Introduction
- Stroke Rehabilitation Clinician Handbook – Clinical Consequences of Stroke
- Stroke Rehabilitation System Consensus Panel Report 2007