Guidelines & Recommendations
Canadian Stroke Best Practice Recommendations
The Canadian Stroke Best Practice Recommendations is a comprehensive set of evidence and clinically-based guidelines that serve as a resource for health care professionals working in practice settings across the care continuum. Since 2006, these recommendations have been updated every two years. This ensures that they are current and coordinated with national and international parallel initiatives, and that they reflect best practice evidence and stroke management priorities. Initiated by the Canadian Stroke Strategy (CSS), these recommendations align performance measurement and development with stroke best practices to enhance recommendation uptake, implementation, and the monitoring of patient care and outcomes.
In 2012, the CSS Best Practices and Standards Working Group became responsible for the development and update of the CSS Best Practice Recommendations for Stroke Care. As of April 2013, ongoing updates to the Canadian Stroke Best Practice Recommendations has transitioned to the Heart & Stroke and its partners. For updates on the Canadian Stroke Best Practice Recommendations, click here.
The Toronto Stroke Networks and the Toronto Central LHIN have also established the Toronto Stroke Flow initiative to support the implementation of the best practice recommendations in acute, rehab and community organizations.
Toronto Stroke Networks Standards of Care
As a platform for continuous quality improvement, the Standards of Care resource is intended to provide an overview of key stroke best practices and how these practices have been implemented within Toronto. The vision for Standards of Care is “to be accountable leaders and innovators, continuously creating and achieving shared best practice standards of excellence in stroke care that are accessible across geographical boundaries”.
To access the Standards of Care, click here.
Best Practice Guidelines and Recommendations
- Aphasia Institute Communicative Access Guidelines
- Canadian Cardiovascular Society: Atrial Fibrillation Guidelines List
- Obesity in Adults: A Clinical Practice Guideline
- Diabetes Canada Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Canadian Smoking Cessation: Clinical Practice Guideline
- Evidence-Based Review of Stroke Rehabilitation
- Hypertension Canada Guidelines
- Canadian Stroke Community-based Exercise Recommendations 2020
- Ontario Stroke Network – Stroke Unit Toolkit 2022
- RNAO Best Practice Guidelines – Delirum, Dementia and Depression in Older Adults: Assessment and Care, 2016
- Quality-Based Procedures: Clinical Handbook for Stroke (Acute and Postacute)- December 2016[…..]